2018 Charitable Fund Award: General Information and Timeline
The Board of Directors of Commonwealth Community Trust (CCT) is proud to sponsor the Charitable Fund Award, an grant program that offers assistance with the purchase of equipment, medication or services to Virginia residents who demonstrate a financial need.
Now Accepting Applications!
The application period for the 2018 Charitable Fund Award is open from January 11, 2018 to February 28, 2018.
|January 11 to February 28, 2018
||Online Application Period Open
|March 1 to April 20, 2018
||CCT Reviews and Processes Applications
|On May 4, 2018
||CCT Notifies Applying Organizations’ Representatives
|By July 1, 2018
||Vendor Checks Mailed to Applying Organizations’ Representatives for Award Recipients
|July 1 to December 31, 2018
|Goods Purchased or Services Performed for Award Recipients
Who is eligible?
- The recipient must live in Virginia and have a disability that meets the SSA definition of disabled. Disability for adults is defined as the inability to engage in “substantial gainful activity.” There must be a physical or mental impairment that can be expected to last at least 1 year. A child must have a physical or mental condition that very seriously limits his or her activities and is expected to last at least 1 year.
- The recipient must meet Federal poverty guidelines and/or receives SSI benefits. To review the HHS Poverty Guidelines, go to: https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/15poverty.cfm
What types of services/equipment/medication can be funded?
- The application should be for the purchase of equipment or medication or services (not paid for by Medicaid, private insurance, or another source of funds) that will increase the recipient’s ability to perform activities of daily living, or to perceive, control or communicate within the environment in which he or she lives.
- The maximum amount of the award per individual in 2018 is $1,000.
- Last year, included the following types of requests were funded:
- Assistive Technology, including iPads
- Dental services and dentures, hearing aids and eyeglasses
- Summer camp fees, therapeutic riding and fitness center membership fees
- Equipment such as wheelchairs, van lifts, stair lifts, dehumidifiers and adaptive bicycles
- Home safety modifications such as wheelchair ramps and grab bars
Who can submit an application?
- The application must be completed and verified online by a representative from a nonprofit organization or public agency that serves people with disabilities.
- A maximum of 10 applications may be submitted from each organization or agency.
- This program is not intended to pay off a recipient’s debts, to fund services that are normally provided at no cost to the recipient, or to provide a general source of income to the recipient or to the applying organization/agency.
What criteria is used to evaluate the applications?
A committee of CCT Board Members and staff will review applications based on how the request will impact the recipient’s quality of life. Preference will be given to applications that:
- Effectively communicate how the request will impact the recipient’s quality of life (Of primary importance),
- Demonstrate the lasting impact (versus a short-term benefit)
- Are for a one-time expense (versus an ongoing expense), and
- Cover the entire cost of the equipment, medication, or service requested.
How can I add my email address to be notified about the 2018 CFA application?
To request to be added to the email notification list, please send an email to email@example.com. You must be a representative from a nonprofit organization or public agency that serves people with disabilities. Please include your name, the name of your nonprofit organization or government agency, your title and your email address.
Back to top