What information is reported by CCT to government agencies for clients receiving SSI and Medicaid?

Thursday, October 10th, 2013

The following reports are provided to the appropriate public agencies for Beneficiaries who receive SSI and or Medicaid:

  • The establishment of the trust at the time of enrollment.
  • When requested by a public agency, CCT will provide a copy of the Joinder Agreement and financial statements that detail deposits and disbursements.
  • CCT will provide notification to the state Medicaid office, upon the death of the Beneficiary, for clients who have the First-Party Pooled Special Needs Trust and receive Medicaid.

What must be reported to government agencies for SSI and Medicaid recipients by the Beneficiary or his/her representative?

Thursday, October 10th, 2013

It is the responsibility of the Beneficiary or his/her representative to report the following:

  • A change in the Beneficiary’s living arrangement.
  • A change in the Beneficiary’s income (including the receipt of any direct income from the trust, but not distributions that are “not income”).
  • A change in any countable resources.
  • New eligibility for other public benefits.
  • Substantial medical improvements that may result in the Beneficiary no longer being considered disabled.
  • A change in the Beneficiary’s marital status.
  • Admission to or discharge from any health facility or public facility, such as a hospital or nursing home.
  • Any intended trip outside the United States.

The report should be in writing to the Social Security Administration and include the Beneficiary’s name and Social Security number, the name of the person making the report, and a description of the event reported and the date it happened.  The report is due within 10 days after the end of the month in which the event occurred.

What services are not provided by public benefit programs?

Thursday, October 10th, 2013

Usually people who receive SSI have meager funds available for basic living expenses.  SSI pays for food and shelter related expenses, and allows a small amount of money, which may be as little as $30 a month, for a personal care allowance.  A trust can pay for supplemental needs that include eye and dental care, eye glasses, hearing aids, clothing and other items and services that would enhance the Beneficiary’s quality of life.  (See How the Trust can be Used.)

What is the connection between public benefits and personal resources (assets and income)?

Thursday, October 10th, 2013

Many individuals with disabilities receive SSI, a monthly monetary allowance that pays for food and shelter and usually makes the person eligible for Medicaid.  Medicaid pays the cost of health services for people with special needs who demonstrate a financial need.  Adults are eligible for SSI if they have a disability that prevents them from working and earning a self-sufficient wage, and they do not have more than a certain amount of assets.  Children, who are minors, are eligible for SSI if they have “marked and severe functional limitations” from a physical or mental condition.

In order to be eligible for SSI and Medicaid, a person cannot have more than $2,000 in assets that can be converted to cash.

Establishing the First-Party Pooled Special Needs Trust or Third-Party Pooled Special Needs Trust will preserve funds that can be used for the benefit of an individual with special needs, without jeopardizing SSI and Medicaid, as the funds in these trusts are not counted as income or assets.